Skip to content


How Much Cryptosporidium do you Like in Your Water?

by Mark Timmons January 27, 2015 0 Comments

Water is truly amazing. Not only is it the most consumed beverage in the world, it is also the most useful substance to humans since we first crawled out of the primordial ooze. For thousands of years, people have been finding ways of making the water we use better for everyday life. Technologies such as water softeners to make cleaning easier, deionization for manufacturing, reverse osmosis for drinking & cooking all have their place. But too frequently, the one contaminant that people should be the most concerned about is often the most over-looked. It's symptoms include acute and persistent diarrhea, extreme weight loss, compromised immune system, and in some cases death. It's bacteria.

To start off, lets acknowledge that bacteria exists everywhere and most of it is harmless. Bacteria is broken down into two main categories: Pathogens, which can lead to diseases and (appropriately named) non-pathogenic, which are not disease causing. Ninety-eight percent of US water utilities disinfect the water with small doses chlorine which kills a large variety of waterborne pathogens. Sounds great, right?

This is where cryptosporidium comes in. This harmful pathogen (and others like it) has an outer shell that makes it highly resistant to chlorine. In fact, just 20 years ago Milwaukee residents became ill by the thousands and at least 69 people died as a result of a cryptosporidium outbreak. So how does the average homeowner protect their water supply from these little critters?

The best answer for a home is ultraviolet light. UV disinfection systems are typically long stainless steel chambers that encapsulate a UV bulb protected by a quartz sleeve. The water enters the chamber and once inside, any micro-organisms are rendered inert when their DNA is scrambled. At this point, all bacteria are effectively dead.

UV water disinfection systems are inexpensive and require little upkeep. Here are the US Water Ultraviolet Disinfection Systems, which sell for around $500-$800.Usually just replacing the bulb once per year is all that is required to keep your water 100% free of bacteria. Considering the average American will spend that much on a television, it seems a small price to pay for safe water.

Ultraviolet technology has been used in water treatment for decades and is a proven way to ensure that your water is safe from the most harmful and deadly contaminants. To find out more about this technology or to talk with a certified water specialist, visit or call 1.800.608.8792.

Prev Post
Next Post

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.

Someone recently bought a
[time] ago, from [location]

Thanks for subscribing!

This email has been registered!

Shop the look

Choose Options

Edit Option
Back In Stock Notification
this is just a warning
Shopping Cart
0 items